Friday, February 17, 2017

big red baritone




Big red, and a baritone, no less! My first go at a baritone scale ukulele used a 10 inch snowflake tin with the same art design as big green, a concert ukulele from some time ago. The similarities end there. Big red has a 520 mm scale length and a voice that is an octave lower. For my own convenience big red is strung and tuned in a typical ukulele GCEA so I can play it without fussing to learn the chords for the standard baritone ukulele tuning of DGBE. If there is anyone out there interested in big red and would prefer DGBE I would certainly be amenable to swap in a set of strings for that tuning. Meanwhile, I am getting a kick out of the deeper voice and I am sure I’ll be using the big ten inch tins for more baritones to come.
  • tin: 250 x 90 mm, 9 7/8 x 3 1/2 in.
  • scale length: 520 mm, 20 1/2 in.
  • head to tail: 780 mm, 30 1/2 in.
  • G .022 wound, C .032 wound, E .026 wound, A .018 plain steel loop
  • or for a standard baritone tuning: D .030 wound, G .022 wound, B .017 plain, E .012 plain steel loop
  • maple neck
  • teak fret board
  • stainless fork string anchor
  • silk neck tie strap

big red from The Tinkers Damn on Vimeo.