Friday, February 17, 2017

blue flake lap steel

Indeed, here it is, in all its chunky squared off glory and all its slinky-slidey twang! It’s my first go at building a baritone scale lap steel ukulele, and I am having too much fun. Now I just need to learn to play the dern thing. Yes, I know that’s a mouth full. Learning to play a lap steel – and doing it well – is no small task.



As I mentioned in my previous post, this instrument is the direct descendant of a big kid-safe lap steel I knocked out just before the San Mateo Maker Faire. Regardless of my questionable skills playing this wingnut I’m sure it won’t be that last one I build.
  • tin: 230 x 76 mm, 9 x 3 in.
  • scale length: 520 mm, 20 1/2 in.
  • head to tail: 760 mm, 30 in.
  • G .024, C .018, E .015, g .013 plain steel loop end
  • squarish profile maple neck
  • teak fret board
  • stainless fork string anchor
I have been fooling around with adding a carbon mic and a piezo pickup. Someday soon I’ll update the photos and demo to show off the wacky electronics.

Blue Flake Lap Steel from The Tinkers Damn on Vimeo.